- Plant breeding research on wheat is important to assure stability of production and improvement in quality and yield of wheat.
- Wheat fills an important role in Illinois agriculture by providing an alternative to corn and soybean.
- Wheat requires lower inputs than corn or soybean, often does not require herbicide use, and provides erosion control.
- Disease resistant varieties developed through breeding also reduce pesticide use.
- Fusarium head blight (head scab) resistant varieties reduce mycotoxin levels in wheat grain and flour.